Whether you're thinking about getting pregnant or already expecting, it's important to take action to ensure a happy, healthy pregnancy.
- Prepare for pregnancy: eat well, take prenatal vitamins, exercise regularly, chart your menstrual cycle,
avoid caffeine, and stop use of potentially harmful medications and other substances (tobacco, alcohol,
- Maintain a healthy pregnancy: eat well, exercise regularly, get plenty of rest, avoid high temperatures
and activities that cold lead to a fall or abdominal injury.
- Get proper prenatal care, including routine checkups.
- Do Kegel exercises during and after pregnancy to strengthen your pelvic floor muscles.
- Take childbirth education classes.
- Learn about breast-feeding and other options.
- Learn more about pregnancy…
Short term benefits include a healthier heart and healthier muscles, bones, and joints. Over the long
term, exercise helps reduce your risk of heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer, and obesity.
Learn more about fitness…
Experts agree—prenatal care is vital to your new baby's health. By enrolling in the Great Beginnings Pregnancy Program within the first three months of your pregnancy, you get the full advantage of maternity nurse specialists reviewing your case. This program offers:
- An initial assessment and pre-certification for your upcoming delivery.
- Telephone access to an experienced maternity nurse who will serve as an important resource throughout your
- Individual case management (at no additional cost) for any pregnancy complications.
- Coordination of care for any special services or supplies, if required.
- Educational materials.